Saturday, August 11, 2012

Jupiter nails!!

My kids are on a huge outer space kick right now. In the past few weeks, we've made 2 model solar systems, watched pretty much every space show on Netflix, stayed up til all hours of the night to watch live coverage of Curiosity's landing on Mars and we're very excited for this month's blue moon on the 31st and the upcoming meteor showers...

Somehow,  my kids interests always get translated into manicures for me--partly because I just get inspired by what we are consuming at any given time and partly because I love how they get such a kick out of seeing their favorite things painted on mommy's nails. Their favorite planet is Jupiter, so I did my first water marble ever to make Jupiter nails. Yes I am aware of the  geekdom involved in rocking Jupiter nails. I own it and love it. Snort.




left hand



left thumb



rarely seen right hand


almost never seen right thumb

posing with the big model Jupiter from the solar system mobile in my boys' room

posing with the little Jupiter from our mini solar system model

It's not that bad for my very first water marble, right? I mean, I accomplished what I set out to do--I think my nails do look rather Jupiter-esque. Post-mani clean-up was hell, though. Frickin polish EVERYWHERE. I'm messy to begin with no matter what I do, but when I use a messy nail art technique, then it's like mess on Steroids.

I don't know if I'll be attempting a water marble again any time soon. Aside from the mess (did I mention it was messy?!?!), I was kind of perturbed by how much polish this mani used up! Not that I have any kind of polish shortage in my life, mind you. I just hate seeing 4 bottles of polish 1/4 of the way gone just to do 10 little nails. 

Polishes used in this mani:

Finger Paints Papier Mache (white--used as base color and in the marble)
Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Sunny Side (yellow)
Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Red Rebel (orange--yea I don't know why she's calling an obvious orange red, either)
Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Cherry Red (now THAT'S a red, Sally)
Seche Vite top coat


Of course now that they've seen this mani, my kids want me to do all the other planets on my nails. So don't be surprised if this blog features more finger nail geekery in the near future...

Have you ever tried water marbling? Thoughts? Tips?









4 comments:

  1. I adore water-marbling, and your first effort looks SO MUCH better than my first few efforts! My tip is to paint your entire fingers except for the nails with Vaseline. Then you just have to wait for the polish to dry a bit and you can wipe all the polish off with a paper towel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep I'll definitely have to try that next time! thank you!

      Delete
  2. I love that your kids are into space. You definitely need to do everything you can to encourage that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! I've always had a fascination for all things cosmic and it's nice to have 2 partners to geek out with now lol

      Delete

Drop me a line any time! I love hearing from my peeps....but please refrain from spamming my posts with links to your blog. I am ALWAYS happy to add your blog to my blogroll if you just send the link and a request to be added to glamonthecheap@yahoo.com. Thanks! :)