Saturday, February 4, 2012

Nipple cream--good for more than just nipples!



I thought I'd do a quick post on this since I've been seeing a lot of posts pop up about it on the nail care message boards I haunt. The little purple tube below is Lansinoh Lanolin nipple cream. If you are a nursing mom like me, you're probably familiar with it; in fact, it might be your best friend as it offers unparalleled soothing comfort for dry, cracked nipples that have been tortured by infant mouths. 






(more after the jump)




But the goop inside this tube is good for more than just making nipples happy. A few weeks ago, I started seeing posts about nail philes (i.e., people who are obsessed with all things nail & nail polish related) using this stuff to heal dry, rough, angry cuticles. As soon as I saw the posts, I went and dug out my tube (which I haven't used for months and was contemplating throwing away) and thought "what the hell" and slathered it on my cuticles. Now that I've had some experience on putting this stuff on places OTHER than nipples, and have discovered that it really DOES work wonders on gnarly cutes, I thought I'd add my 2 cents to the conversation.

Lansinoh Lanolin nipple cream can be found in the baby aisle of most big box stores. Look for it next to the bottles &  feediing stuff and what-not. If I remember correctly, one tube goes for like $8.00 but that tube lasts forever. Here's a shot of the back of the tube blown up all huge-like so you check out the ingredients (which is lanolin, lanolin, and more lanolin):



Now this cream is thick and you need to work with it if you want to use it on your cuticles. The first thing you need to do is soften the product up in the tube. Use your hands to knead the tube. Once you've done that for a minute, squeeze some product out onto a finger tip and then rub your finger and thumb together to make the cream soft and warm. Once you've done that, go ahead and apply it to your cuticles and massage it in. A little bit goes a long way. In order to help the lanolin absorb into the cuticles, follow up the cream application with a nice slathering of whatever hand cream you usually use. This helps distribute the product more and keeps it from getting sticky. Another good tip is to apply this stuff before you go to bed--that way you don't have to worry about the tackyness of the cream causing junk to stick to your cuticles. 

Dealing with thick, sticky cream might seem like more trouble than its worth but honestly, it is a Godsend for cuticles. My cuticles are always drying up and cracking thanks to compulsive nail polish changes and housework that forces me to wash my hands a zillion times a day. I use Hoofer's Choice nail and cuticle cream (I get it at Sally's Beauty Supply) but sometimes my cuticles are in such bad shape that even THAT doesn't help. And THAT'S when I reach for the Lansinoh. It seriously restores my cuticles to soft, supple status overnight. My cuticles no longer split and I no longer get ugly painful hangnails...LOVE it!!

So have you tried this stuff? Do you have any other unconventional, home remedies for dried up cutes?

4 comments:

  1. OMG This is great! I have a half used tube that's just sitting around but I didn't want to throw it away b/c it was so expensive. I will be doing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep! that was my reaction when I first started seeing posts about using it on cuticles. I'm such a pack-rat. I hold onto things forever thinking "I know this'll come in handy at SOME point."

      Delete
  2. It is also amazing for any dry, cracked skin such as heels, elbows, shins, etc. I have even used it on my lips when I have a cold or have spent too much time in winter weather. Also does a good job on serious diaper rash (or any other rash for that matter), provides a wonderful protective barrier. They really need to market this stuff in a non-nipple package lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure do! They're missing out on a gold mine! lol

      Delete

Drop me a line any time! I love hearing from my peeps....but please refrain from spamming my posts with links to your blog. I am ALWAYS happy to add your blog to my blogroll if you just send the link and a request to be added to glamonthecheap@yahoo.com. Thanks! :)